Just a recap of my outfits for the month of May… click on the “Outfits” link in the upper left if you want to see more photos of each! Which one was your favorite?
Since my older sister just graduated with her masters and some of my friends just graduated college, I decided it would be the perfect time to talk about some investment pieces straight out of college (or grad school). I was lost at first when I graduated because although I had a suit and collared shirts for interviewing, a lot of my wardrobe was still extremely casual. I have learned to incorporate a lot of those pieces into a more professional wardrobe, but there were still some pieces I needed to add to ensure that I was looking professional everyday. I was in a sales role at the time, so meeting with clients meant suits and looking as professional as possible. I had to learn to work my own style into some of these more professional looks, and it has taken some time but I finally feel good about my work wardrobe! Here are just some of my suggestions for shopping investments once you graduate!
The suit: A suit is the most important investment you can make after graduation. #1 you should be wearing something extremely professional to your interviews and I have always worn my suit for the interview. I just don’t think you can be too professional. If you want to stand out more, use a bright colored blouse, bow blouse, necklaces and heels to make you stand out. The suit screams “HIRE ME!” #2 If you are going into a job with professional wardrobe guidelines, a suit is going to save the day and make you look good as you are starting out in the real world. Now you are probably asking, “Why do I need to invest in a suit if I am working in a more casual environment and don’t have to get dressed up everyday?” My answer: SEPARATES! Whether or not you sit in a cube all day or meet with clients, having a blazer to dress up jeans or a pencil skirt/pair of slacks to wear on a daily basis with a more basic tee, the suit will serve you well. If you are hesitating to invest, why don’t you ask Barney from How I Met Your Mother, perhaps he will change your mind about the suit!
There has been a lot going on these past couple weeks, but nothing is on my mind more than packing and getting more and more excited for my trip to Europe! Here are just some pictures for an update on life lately, if you don’t follow me yet, be sure to follow me on Instagram, this is most likely how I’ll be documenting my travels!
Cool casual looks are perfect for weekends during the summer. As much as I love summer, I also have to fight with the humidity and heat of the Midwest when dressing for outdoor occasions. I am perfectly happy walking around in a maxi dress with light layers, like this DIY fringed top (I just chopped up an older tank top that was too short on me anyway) and a pair of comfy booties, otherwise the humidity can really get to me! I practically live in breezy dresses all summer for weekend looks! The booties add just the right touch of ruggedness and make this outfit ideal for flea markets, outdoor concerts and walks downtown!
Hope everyone is having an amazing Memorial Day weekend!!!!!!
So this is an outfit I would wear for a night out with my girls. But these days, at the end of the work week, as much as I want to go out and party with my friends, I want to make sure I am also as comfy as possible. A light-weight lace back cardigan, breezy tank top and my polka dot pj shorts are the PERFECT way to achieve this. Did I just say pj shorts? Yes these are my polka dot pajama shorts I recently picked up at TJ Maxx so I’d have a matching pair of pjs for my trip to Europe. When I wore them for the first time, I realized how cute the shorts were and they even have pockets! To dress them up more, I thought the lace and hot pink Rachel by Rachel Roy pumps would do just the trick.
- Sweetie Pie Style celebrated the solar eclipse with a cute tie dye scarf! The perfect accessory to jazz up any outfit! (find Sweetie Pie Style on Twitter!)
- Lipstick & Lollies goes for the unexpected and pairs bright, cheery citron with a muted olive! Throw on some pink lipstick and she has such a fun look!
- Olive & an Arrow has joined the white skinny jean club and just in time for summer! Don’t forget to check out the cute top she paired them with! (find Olive & an Arrow on Twitter!)
- Franishh found a total budget friendly pearl bib necklace! She made a few adjustments to make it her own and now she has the perfect statement peice! (find Franish on Twitter!)
- City and Burbs is minty fresh in her new skinny jeans! She pairs them with leopard and pink for a bold vibe! (find City and Burbs on Twitter!)
- Rachel’s Look Book is adding a little sparkle to her life with a gold sequined top! Paired with a pink maxi, she is looking seriously sweet! (find Rachel’s Look Book on Twitter!)
- Here & Now has officially entered wedding season and she is showing us how to look our best for the festivities! We even get a peek of her man’s threads! (find Here & Now on Twitter!)
- Style Your Life is taking a cue from warmer temps and put together what could be the perfect weekend outfit – maxi skirt, tee, sandals and hat. (find Style Your Life on Twitter!)
- DahliaLynn Lane pairs stripes and floral for a combination that is sure to raise your spirits! A match made in heaven! (find DahliaLynn Lane on Twitter!)
- Fabulously Average is trying out the peplum trend and knocking it out of the park! Head over to find out where she got her top for a steal! (find Fabulously Average on Twitter!)
- Wardrobes I Met and Liked shows us a different take on the leopard that we all know and love! Pop over to find out how she kicked it up a notch!
- Urban Frill shows us a business casual look with a bag that play many roles! And her neckalce? Gorgeous!
- Seize the Styles is sporting a candy striped dress that reminds her of fruit stripes gum! If this outfit doesn’t make you happy, I don’t know what will! (find Seize the Styles on Twitter!)
- Second Street East is crushing on ikat for home and wardrobe. Head over to see the pieces she picked to bring the pattern into you room and closet! (find Second Street East on Twitter!)
Oh summer, how ready I am for you and your warm days by the pool, long walks and grilling out with friends and family. Oh summer, how I wish I had all of these items to enjoy your heat waves in! Oh summer, wouldn’t it be great if I had this amazing preppy striped dress, white distressed jeans, peach shorts and gingham swimsuit? Yes, yes it would be great!
I wore this outfit to my first Lia Sophia party, which was an absolute blast (and I bought WAY to much jewelry and drank too many margaritas!) My brooch is from Lia Sophia (seen here) and pinned on my grandmother’s vintage necklace, it went so perfectly with my pleated maxi! I recently decided why can’t I wear a little sparkle and shine to work as well?! I certainly would probably add a denim blazer or white blazer for some more sophistication, but since I don’t meet with clients and sit at my desk all day, day time sparkles with a classic pair of pumps seems appropriate to me!
It has been way too long since I’ve done a travel post, considering traveling is a passion of mine! With my upcoming trip to Europe, London being stop number one, and the upcoming Olympic Games, I thought it would be the perfect time to do a post on London. Out of all the places I’ve been thus far, London is my favorite and has completely stolen my heart! I took a course in London for three weeks when I studied abroad and went back several weekends after I settled down in Wales.