I am so excited to be doing a giveaway with Shabby Apple! Shabby Apple is an online dress boutique that specializes in vintage and retro dresses. Click Here: vintage dresses to their selection! Some of my favorites include this skirt, this dress, these shoes, and this adorable vintage swimsuit! The giveaway will be running through May 26, 2013 (2 weeks) and is open to US Residents only. Just follow the instructions below. I will e-mail the winner, so please don’t forget to leave your e-mail in the blog post comment! Good luck!!!!!!
Doesn’t Cinco de Mayo make you think of aztec/trbial and boho prints?! Well it does for me and I’m so excited to celebrate with some friends on Sunday. Sunday FUNday of course! I will probably pull out some bright, festive colors even if it isn’t that warm. Hopefully it will be a nice day! P.S. all of these pieces are under $50!
And now… today’s Blog Every Day in May challenge is to talk about things that make you uncomfortable. I have a long list, but here are just a few that come to mind:
Let’s start with the serious ones:
- Conflict. Let me get more specific … I mean in your face conflict where I feel like I want to crawl underneath a table and hide. At work. Between groups of friends. Other couples. I get a knot in my stomach when I feel like two other people are about to get in a fight about something. This might be the most uncomfortable type of situation to be in… ever.
- Speaking up at Work Meetings. I have only been in my job for a year and a half. I have so many ideas and always want to share my opinion, but i am so uncomfortable sharing these ideas in meetings, when I really should be speaking up. Some of my co-workers have been here 15+ years, it is just one of those companies where people don’t leave, which is great, but right now I feel like too much of a newbie. I really need to get over this and speak up!
Now, less serious ones:
- People Watching Me Eat. This is kind of weird, but I eat to eat if that makes sense. I am trying to get better about slowing down, but I got in a horrible habit of scarfing down food in college because I wanted to get to the library to study or off to other meetings for the newspaper or PR club. Food in college was not something to “enjoy” rather something I had to do. And I still have problems. In fact, even my boyfriend is impressed with how fast I eat. I always finish eating before him. It can be really embarrassing, so at work I usually eat at my desk because I like to get stuff done while I’m eating and I don’t want people to watch me eat. It makes me feel SO uncomfortable. I also don’t like being judged for what I’m eating. Have you ever noticed how nosy people can get about what you bring for lunch? That makes me feel extra uncomfortable. Yes I cooked last night! Surprising, I know
- Someone Touching my Nose. It makes me feel really uncomfortable. I don’t know why. It’s just weird to have someone touch your nose. My boyfriend thinks it is hilarious to do all the time just to annoy me
What makes you uncomfortable?
1. Floral One Should Top in Fuschia - Questhaven Fashions $10.00 – $3.50 in promo codes + $3.25 S&H = $9.75 I had an additional promo code I got on Facebook for liking their fan page, so when I saw this top, I had to make it mine. I love the color and flower details, plus with the right blazer or cardigan I can also wear it to work and easily transition into a cute date night, happy hour or going out look!
2. Steve Madden Trench Coat – ShopGoodWill Won Bid at $16.00 + $11.53 S&H = $27.53 The PRICE TAGS from T.J.Maxx were still on this item at a cost of $59.99, so I still paid half of the cost for the trench (even at a discount store) with S&H, so I feel okay even though I wouldn’t normally pay $11.53 for S&H
4. Schutz Gilberta Black Heels – ShopGoodWill Won Bid at $9.00 + $11.50 S&H = $21.50 I paid a little more for S&H, but I don’t mind because when I saw these on ShopGoodwill, I knew I had to have them! They were the perfect basic pair of black pumps and when I looked up the cost of Schutz Gilberta heels, they normally run for $160 a pair. So I’d say I got another great deal! See how I wore them recently here.
6. Whitney Floral Heels - ShoeDazzle $22.57 – $9.95 for VIP members + Free S&H = $15.82 These babies were on my Spring Wishlist. So I am pretty pumped about finally having a pair of fun, colorful floral heels!
7. Leaf Floral Print Blazer – Lulu’s $3.00! I won the Word Wednesday daily contest on Lulu’s Facebook (they have really easy daily contests, like their page to enter these contests) and was credited $50 to my account. $46 + $7 S&H = $53 – $50 in Account Credit = $3.00
So I was $39.46 over my budget. Not the best, but not bad either. I got two of my closet needs, a trench coat and black heels, so I am feeling good about that. I have also been wanting to add more colorful/patterned blazers to my collection, so I was so excited when I won $50 in store credit to Lulu’s and found this beautiful floral blazer for under $46. Also, I wanted to challenge myself to spend less than $100 a month. It’s not that it doesn’t fit into my overall budget, I just have so much already, it just doesn’t make sense to keep adding and adding things I want. So for the new dress, one shouldered top and two pairs of heels, I am excited to have these things but they weren’t needed. I guess I don’t feel bad about my overspending in clothing this month just because I’m still meeting my other budgeting goals. But again, next month I’m challenging myself to $100. I have a lot of weddings coming up and those are going to get expensive, so the less I spend on clothes/shoes, the better!
***I got two new pairs of jeans, a blouse and blazer from the Easter Bunny (aka my Mom) at the end of March. I don’t normally include gifted items from friends, family, boyfriend in these posts. Do you? Should I? I just everyone to know that I am being completely honest with my budget and include ALL of my purchases in this monthly roundup!
Hi everyone! My name is Kaitlin Underwood and I am so happy to be sharing my love of weddings and fashion with you today! Wedding dress fashion is constantly changing, from new, less traditional styles, to more traditional styles made new. There is definitely a look perfect for every kind of bride and I wanted to show you some of my current favorites!
Though not very traditional, colored dresses have been increasing in popularity over the last few seasons. While there are wedding dresses out there in colors from black to blue to red, my favorites are the blush ones like these from the White by Vera Wang collection. Celebs from Gwen Stefani to Reese Witherspoon to Jessica Biel have all opted to walk down the aisle in the subtle color. Pink is a color associated with love and romance so if you’re not going to wear white, pink is a great choice!
If you haven’t heard about the new “The Great Gatsby” movie yet you surely will. The movie featuring Leonardo DiCaprio and Carey Mulligan is bringing back the fashion from the past. The girl of the “roaring twenties” was rebellious, putting away her corset for a more revealing look and cutting off her luscious locks for a bob style hairdo. While you likely wouldn’t want to wear a flapper dress for your wedding, there are several other styles reminiscent of the era such as these Galina Signature dresses from David’s Bridal that would be perfect to achieve that glamorous look.
Lace is a fabric that has been associated with wedding dresses for quite a while. White actually became the traditional color for wedding dresses because Queen Victoria chose a white gown to feature some of her prized lace back in the 1800’s. Today, designers such as Melissa Sweet have found a way to use lace in modern and innovative ways. For the bride who wants a touch of tradition, lace is the perfect look.
I wonder if Rachel’s sister chose a dress featuring any of these trends? I guess we’ll have to wait and find out! Which is your favorite look?
I have to admit I have been pretty uninspired lately. From an unorganized closet to the never-ending winter weather, I just mentally and physically feel “blah”… so instead of focusing on these negative aspects, I decided to make a wishlist of some things that are bright, fun and cheery. I may not need them as much as I need some other wardrobe staples, but just as I dream about a gorgeous walk-in closet one day, I can dream about adding all of these pieces to my soon-to-be organized closet, right?
I am hoping that a trip home to Iowa this weekend will help me refresh and rejuvenate. Some weekends, I just need a change of pace, I think everyone does. It feels like I haven’t seen my family in forever (we are approaching 3 months of not seeing them and I only live 3.5 hours away). I always want to visit more, but somehow the weeks and weekends just get away from me!
I hope you all are doing well, and staying positive even in this “lovely” winter we are having. Happy Hump Day!
1. Faux Leather Jacket – Forever 21, $37.80
2. Floral Sandals – ShoeDazzle, On Sale $34.36
3. Green Handbag – ShoeDazzle, On Sale $23.97
4. Floral Skinny Jeans – LC Lauren Conrad @ Kohls, On Sale $27.00
5. Coral Ring – Fantasy Jewelry Box, $49.95
6. Blue Strappy Wedges - JustFab, $39.95
7. Pink Pencil Skirt – JcPenney, On Sale $16.00
So I have been “organizing my closet” for close to a year now. I’m not kidding… it’s that bad. Last winter my closet decided it had enough and just detached from the wall. See below:
No worries, it has been reattached to the wall and I have done a LOT of work on it since then. But it is still a space that is hard for me to be inspired in. I try to set clothes out the night before if possible, but I don’t always think about it. And sometimes it is fun to choose your outfit with how you’re feeling in the morning, along with checking out the temperature outside (especially right now… silly winter weather this late in March!)
Anyway, I don’t have enough space in our apartment walk-in right now to create my dream closet, but that doesn’t mean I can’t do a better job of going through my clothes, selling, donating and reorganizing the clothes I have. So I have been reading a lot of articles lately looking for new organization and closet cleaning tips and came across this one on Lucky Magazine with tips from Clinton Kelly. For some reason, these tips resonated more with me than any other article I’ve read. I’m sure it was mostly the same advice, just presented in a different way. Anyway, it was motivating enough that I have decided to try out his way of doing things, which is taking ALL of your clothes out of your closet and trying EACH and EVERY piece on. He admits it is an exhausting process, but no one has ever complained about having a clean, organized closet.
And keep in mind—
Too small: DONATE/SELL
Too big: DONATE/SELL
One size too big: TAKE TO A TAILOR
Anything you haven’t worn in a year: DONATE/SELL
So here’s the deal, I don’t think I could accomplish this all in one day (or part with all the things I probably need to part with in one day), so I’m going to start with one section of my closet and move onto the next. I might do two sections a weekend or per week, but this way I feel a bit more accomplished each week and eventually I will have the end result . After all is said and done, I will probably buy some more organizational tools to help with what I’ve kept, but my closet should be a lot more manageable at this point. I have lots of clothes from high school and college still, and it isn’t necessarily that they don’t fit or I don’t still like the style, but I don’t have anywhere to wear them. Why am I keeping them then? This is why it has come to this… sigh.
My closet is organized by type and color, so blouses, cardigans, short sleeve shirts, long sleeve shirts, dresses, pants, pencil skirts, jeans, etc. (ranging from red to purple and then neutrals). This weekend I will start with blouses and cardigans.
Via A Simple Affair
Then maybe my closet will look a little better, maybe something like this:
And someday, hopefully not too far away like this:
A girl is allowed to dream, right?
Do you have any other great tips you have for closet cleaning? Have you tried a closet cleaning process like this before? Please let me know how it went if you have!
We didn’t take very many photos because, well, you know the saying … what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. And we wanted to keep in that way! (Okay, my boyfriend didn’t want to waste his vacation time taking photos of my outfits and I don’t blame him… better to just enjoy the time). Thank you EVERYONE for your wonderful and kind words supporting our relationship and 2 year anniversary! I am hoping for another great year and many more!
Happy Tuesday, have a great week!