- A Devine Life turned an old dress into a new skirt by layering a sweater on top! A great way to transition your summer wardrobe into cooler temps! (find a Devine Life on Twitter!)
- Rach.E. Cakes is rocking one of her go-to feel good dresses that is versatile enough for work or play! Pop over to see why she keeps reaching for this pretty little number! (find Rach.E.Cakes on Twitter!)
- Fancy Francy gives us some great tips on how to style a midriff bearing bandeau top and shared two looks for inspiration! Great solutions to one of the more difficult pieces in our closet! (find Fancy Francy on Twitter!)
- The Second Best is recreating a low-key look from another blogger and knocked it out of the park! Goes to show that inspiration is everywhere! (find Second Best on Twitter!)
- Ishi is showing us her studious side and how she stays stylish and comfortable for days spent with her nose in the books! So cute!
- Fleurani lets her pretty gold skirt shine by pairing it with lots of black! It’s gorgeous and the perfect piece for holiday party season!
- Rachel’s Lookbook takes her outfit to the next level by throwing on some purple tights! Such a fun way to add excitement to your look! (find Rachel’s Look Book on Twitter!)
- See Mo Go is totally comfy in her new printed cords! She paired them with a blazer and boots and is ready for a day at the office!(find See Mo Go on Twitter!)
- My Thrifty Chic pairs her new glasses and patterned tights together for a geek chic look! The total outfit only cost $55! Go check it out! (find My Thrifty Chic on Twitter!)
- The Chic Curator gives us a bedroom duvet breakdown on a budget with three different price points to choose from! Pop over to check out the super cute bedding and find out where to buy!
- Laura Wears is showing off her holiday party style – a little bit of sparkle mixed with a little bit of responsibility! Love this look! (find Laura Wears on Twitter!)
- Sam ipsa Loquiter wrapped up her 30 f0r 30 challenge and she definitely ended on a high note! Pattern mixing at its finest! (find Sam ipsa Loquiter on Twitter!)
- A Fashion Fixation is showing us some love in a gorgeous new sweater! No better (or more stylish) way to make a statement than that! (find A Fashion Fixation on Twitter!)
- Second Street East is in love with a bright and beautiful little girl’s room! She recreated the look in a room and an outfit – tons of great pieces! (find Second Street East on Twitter!)
- Sweetie Pie Style rounds up her favorite stylish rain boots after getting tons of use out of hers lately! Head over to pick out your favorite pair to be ready for the rain (or snow!) ahead! (find Sweetie Pie Style on Twitter!)
Just a few short weeks after my grandma’s funeral (my mom’s mother), my family found out that my dad’s father was placed in hospice within the nursing home. I was devastated to say the least… not that I wasn’t eventually expecting this news as his health has deteriorated over the past couple years, but how, how could my family be going through this again?
As much as I was upset about my grandpa, I also immediately thought of my grandma, who took care of my grandpa day in and day out from full health to days where he barely remembered her name, a love so strong and true it is hard to describe. I also thought of my dad, my aunt, uncle, cousins, sisters and all of my grandparent’s friends, they would all be faced with the same sadness and feeling of loss. What would my grandma do with her days when she visited my grandpa twice a day each and every day? He passed away last Friday and although I felt some relief, I didn’t know what it would be like to go through all of this again.
Yesterday my family said good-bye to my grandpa, military honors and all, as he served as a part of the United States Army combat infantry in the European Theatre in 1943. A true honor that my grandpa rarely shared with others, which is a good example of how modest he was when it came to his accomplishments. As we went through the visitation and funeral, I felt such a strong surrounding of love with my family that helped me overcome my feelings of sadness. Our love and faith was stronger than my feelings of sadness, doubt and confusion. My family’s love and commitment to each other reminded me of just how much grandpa was loved and still is… and how he is in a better place now, at peace. He has been suffering for a long time and just wanted to be at peace. He is finally at peace and my family can finally breathe knowing he’s watching over us.
This is what I’ll be doing today! Hope you are having a relaxing, enjoyable holiday with loved ones. Safe travels!
Today, as I think back to less than 100 years ago, I am thankful for the opportunity to vote. I have always been interested in the history of women’s suffrage and the women involved in fighting to ensure women had the right to vote and contribute to society. Today I am proud to be wearing red, white and blue, to be voting and to be a part of this country. I would love to watch Iron Jawed Angels (one of my favorite movies ever) and remember the struggles that others went through to allow me to vote today. To everyone else in the States, Happy Voting Day!
I have debated whether or not I wanted to write down these thoughts and share them on my blog. I am typically a positive person who loves to inspire and spread positive thoughts and attitudes if and when I can. With that said, I usually only share happy moments, celebrations and all the joy fashion brings me on my blog because that’s why I started it. But today I am choosing to take a break from the blog’s purpose to share the parts of life that happen and just plain suck.
Today I am grieving the loss of an amazing woman I was lucky enough to be the granddaughter of. My grandma passed away last night and although my family knew it was coming, it certainly hasn’t made things easier. My grandmother was such an incredibly beautiful woman (inside and out), with a great sense of humor and strong work ethic. She raised seven children… Six of them boys, and knowing my uncles, I can tell you that was no easy task. My mother is a spitting image of her, both in her beauty and personality, and I have to say that has made her passing even harder.
As much as it is painful to deal with losing someone you are close too, it is also painful to know how much the people you love are also hurting because of the loss. Thinking about my cousins, uncles, sisters, mother… makes it hurt even more. And although death is a part of life and I know she is no longer suffering, it is still hard. When my mom’s dad passed away six years ago I was in and out of tears for days, even started bawling during the middle of one of my high school classes. I am a cry baby as is, so my tears are unpredictable. No matter how much I have tried today to focus on other things, my mind keeps coming back to the sadness. That’s why I decided to write this and share with you. Everyone at some point experiences the loss of friends, family or people they love and it will never be easy. Today, I didn’t want to post a normal post and pretend everything is okay. I will be okay, but today (and this week), along with the rest of my family, I need to grieve this loss. I love you grandma, you are forever in our hearts.
Just some pictures from this past week, Happy Friday Eve! We are almost to the weekend!!!!!!
- Sweetie Pie Style has a new obsession – rose gold! Head over to see what she pairs her new kicks with for a bright, rosy look! (Find Sweetie Pie Style on Twitter!)
- A Fashion Fixation is stepping out of her comfort zone with pattern mixing and it paid off! Check out her easy tip to keep the look cohesive! (find A Fashion Fixation on Twitter!)
- Lipstick & Lollies is trying one of the favorite looks of the season – pink and red colorblocking. She made it her own with an edgy leather jacket! So cute!
- Urban Frill is channeling her inner 50s housewife for a sweet polka-dotted look with a modern twist! Pop over to see how you can recreate the vintage inspired look!
- Olive &; an Arrow pairs a Beatles tee with a floral skirt for an unexpected match! Glad she did because they look amazing together!! (Find Olive & an Arrow on Twitter!)
- Franish is ready to set sail in her nautical inspired outfit! She even has an amazing manicure to match! (find Franish on Twitter!)
- City and Burbs is trying something new in the accessories department! Head over to see how she pairs two necklaces for twice the statement! (find City and Burbs on Twitter!)
- Rachel’s Look Book combats the cooler temps of her office with a beautiful layered look! And her bow belt? Gorgeous! (find Rachel’s Look Book on Twitter!)
- Here & Now has discovered just how amazing maxi skirts really are! Her purple and leopard duo is a perfect combination! (find Here & Now on Twitter!)
- Style Your Life pairs green and orange for a fun spring look! Don’t forget to check out the floral boat shoes!! (find Style Your Life on Twitter!)
- DahliaLynn Lane even makes moving look chic! A plaid shirt, jean shorts and tennies never looked so good! (find DahliaLynn Lane on Twitter!)
- Second Street East is trying out the metallic Sperry wedges with a fun outfit that involves some pattern mixing! Head over to see the office the outfit inspired! (Find Second Street East on Twitter!)
- Good Life shows us how to dress for a chilly spring! Check out what she pairs a sweater with to make it work for the new season! (Find Good Life on Twitter!)
- 100 Inspirations shows us how to get Kourtney Kardashian’s fun floral look! Stop by to see what pieces are used to recreate the look, all for under $95!
I hope to do shopping posts more often to share my tips on shopping and how to resist big splurges when you are trying to cut back or save money for other things. As much as I love shopping for anything fashion-related, I also know I have plenty of things in my closet already. I am a total bargain shopper and rarely, and I mean rarely, ever buy anything full price. If it is a last minute purchase for an event or specifically for an event, I will pay full price, but otherwise my mommy taught me her ways to budget and save money.
So lately I have been thinking about ways to challenge myself to make my wardrobe even more versatile than I already try to do. With that said, I have recently purchased two new cocktail dresses for special occasions, one was my new sequin green strapless dress for New Year’s Eve and the other was recently for my birthday (a long-sleeve black lace dress). So I wanted to share a few ways to reinvent a cocktail dress for more casual or additional going out looks: add a fun printed legging (animal print seen below), throw a blouse and belt over top to wear it as a skirt and add a blazer for more casual take on the dress, while still looking chic!
So here is just a peek at what I wore on my birthday (this is the “night” look), where I simply changed from a pencil skirt and opaque black tights into black denim. Unfortunately, we didn’t get any photos last night, so here is my best representation of my outfit! Since I am wearing a dress for my masquerade party tomorrow I wanted to have drinks in something a bit more casual, yet still dressy. Everything else I wore was simply some of my favorite things: sparkle, ruffles, gold accessories and leopard print. That’s really all I was going for, an outfit that was fun and me, yet still dressy enough to wear to work with a pencil skirt and with denim/a smoky eye to go out for drinks with friends! I just bought a Michael -Michael Kors sequin embellished black cardigan from Nordstrom Rack a few weeks ago on super clearance and I wanted to save it for my birthday. It is so comfy and it has just the right amount of pizzazz without being over the top for the office!
Hope you have a wonderful Friday! Can’t wait for my masquerade party, and can’t wait to share photos from it!