As you may have seen in my last makeup post, I had the opportunity to work with an amazingly talented group of women in the Twin Cities recently! Courtney worked on my hair and asked me what kind of style I wanted to see. To be honest, hair is definitely where I struggle creatively. I tend to wear my hair three to four ways – straight, wavy curls, in a ponytail or in a top knot. That’s why working with Courtney at Wayzata Salon & Spa was a great experience – she had ideas immediately after taking a look at my hair.
She decided to do a half top knot with big, loose curls for the bottom part of my hair. Starting with pulling my hair half up to work on the bottom part of my hair – she followed these steps to achieve the look:
- Using a large curling iron – at least 1 to 1 1/2 , she started to curl my hair
- Using clips/pins she let each curl cool off a bit and then slowly rolled it up and pinned each curl (this helps maintain the big curl/wave look you see as the final result)
- She used just a spritz of hairspray on the curls rolled up after completing three to four of them
- For the bun, start by brushing the top of your hair back, but also tease it a little bit to give texture. Depending on how much hair you have, you can then take the rest of hair and wrap it around a center point.
- You can then start securing it with either bobby pins or a hair tie and play around with it – pulling out pieces of hair to give it more of a textured, messy look – or if you want keeping it neat and clean.
- Start undoing your pinned curls one at a time and spritz a few sprays of hairspray all over your hair.
- Tousle your hair and use your hands to lightly brush through the curls
- And there you have it! You have a chic summer hairstyle perfect for any event!
This hairstyle seriously works for any type of event – from a summer concert to a hair style as a bridesmaid at an outdoor wedding. It’s chic, modern and keeps some of your hair up during these warm summer months. Again, a HUGE thank you to Courtney who spent a lot of time to perfect this hairstyle!
And a huge hank you to a wonderful team of people for making this collaboration possible! Make sure to check out everyone’s pages for more inspiration and details!
- Makeup By: @maoxiong23 + @beautybymao
- Hair By: @cschwirtz
- Location: @wayzatasalonspa
- Photography By: @Shannon_kathleenphotography
***You can get $20 off any hairstyle at the spa using code RachHair$20off when you book a makeup appointment at Wayzata Salon & Spa. And as a reminder from my summer bronzed makeup look – you can also get $20 off any makeup service with code RachMakeup$20off!
For more on fashion, beauty and travel, follow Rachel’s Lookbook on Instagram!