This is my first time linking up to Marion’s Trend of the Month Challenge and I couldn’t be more excited about this month’s challenge: lace. I have quite a few lace pieces, mostly neutral ones, so I wanted to challenge myself to wear a lace piece I haven’t in awhile AND in a new way. I just transformed my denim dress into a shirt a few weeks ago, so I decided to transform this lace dress into a shirt as well. Of course, completely work INAPPROPRIATE as a dress. Add my favorite maxi and it was completely work appropriate. Hooray! My biggest challenge in shopping lately is buying items that I can wear both to work AND on the weekends. I didn’t buy this dress with the intention of both, but I guess I found out it has more uses!
JULY’S BUDGET: $150
- Navy Blazer
- Silky Tank
- Olive Green Shorts
- Gingham Blouse
- Neon Flat Sandals
- Harem Pants
- Gold Shorts
- Sweetie Pie Style has a new obsession – rose gold! Head over to see what she pairs her new kicks with for a bright, rosy look! (Find Sweetie Pie Style on Twitter!)
- A Fashion Fixation is stepping out of her comfort zone with pattern mixing and it paid off! Check out her easy tip to keep the look cohesive! (find A Fashion Fixation on Twitter!)
- Lipstick & Lollies is trying one of the favorite looks of the season – pink and red colorblocking. She made it her own with an edgy leather jacket! So cute!
- Urban Frill is channeling her inner 50s housewife for a sweet polka-dotted look with a modern twist! Pop over to see how you can recreate the vintage inspired look!
- Olive &; an Arrow pairs a Beatles tee with a floral skirt for an unexpected match! Glad she did because they look amazing together!! (Find Olive & an Arrow on Twitter!)
- Franish is ready to set sail in her nautical inspired outfit! She even has an amazing manicure to match! (find Franish on Twitter!)
- City and Burbs is trying something new in the accessories department! Head over to see how she pairs two necklaces for twice the statement! (find City and Burbs on Twitter!)
- Rachel’s Look Book combats the cooler temps of her office with a beautiful layered look! And her bow belt? Gorgeous! (find Rachel’s Look Book on Twitter!)
- Here & Now has discovered just how amazing maxi skirts really are! Her purple and leopard duo is a perfect combination! (find Here & Now on Twitter!)
- Style Your Life pairs green and orange for a fun spring look! Don’t forget to check out the floral boat shoes!! (find Style Your Life on Twitter!)
- DahliaLynn Lane even makes moving look chic! A plaid shirt, jean shorts and tennies never looked so good! (find DahliaLynn Lane on Twitter!)
- Second Street East is trying out the metallic Sperry wedges with a fun outfit that involves some pattern mixing! Head over to see the office the outfit inspired! (Find Second Street East on Twitter!)
- Good Life shows us how to dress for a chilly spring! Check out what she pairs a sweater with to make it work for the new season! (Find Good Life on Twitter!)
- 100 Inspirations shows us how to get Kourtney Kardashian’s fun floral look! Stop by to see what pieces are used to recreate the look, all for under $95!
- Franish found a cheaper version of the ever-popular J.Crew necklace we have been seeing everywhere! It looks amazing paired with red stripes! (find Franish on Twitter!)
- City and Burbs is rocking the boyfriend jeans! She pairs them with neutrals and a few pops of neon for a gorgeous look! (find City and Burbs on Twitter!)
- Rachel’s Look Book is showing us her Derby Style! Head over to see how she pairs that fabulous hat with a chic dress for a look worth betting on! (find Rachel’s Look Book on Twitter!)
- Urban Frill rounds up her favorite neon pieces for summer! The best news? They are all under $45!
- A Fashion Fixation looks lovely in her pretty printed dress! She shows us just how easy it is to look fabulous! (find A Fashion Fixation on Twitter!)
- DahliaLynn Lane is going casual chic in a leopard maxi skirt! You HAVE to see this skirt! (find DahliaLynn Lane on Twitter!)
- A Dash of Details tells us about her tried and true hair products that she swears by! Head over to find out what she uses to keep her locks looking beautiful! (find A Dash of Details on Twitter!)
- Here & Now is obsessed with mixing prints! She looks seriously sweet in her polka dots and stripes! (find Here & Now on Twitter!)
- Lipstick & Lollies mixes plaid and stripes for a quirky look! The perfect outfit for a cute, casual weekend!
- Sweetie Pie Style is ready for Cinco de Mayo and is showing us what to wear, eat and drink! I wish I was going to her party!! (Find Sweetie Pie Style on Twitter!)
- Second Street East threw on some boots and a bow for a lazy, rainy day! Head over to see how this outfit translates into a cute living room! (Find Second Street East on Twitter!)
- Olive & an Arrow puts on her cowboy boots for a bit of southern flair! She paired them with a girly skirt for a fun look! (Find Olive & an Arrow on Twitter!)
- Good Life put together an amazing outfit and each piece is under $25! Yes, you heard that right – pop over to see where they are from! (Find Good Life on Twitter!)
- 100 Inspirations shows us how to get Gwyneth Paltrow’s classic black and white look! Stop by to see the pieces she chose, all for under $80!
Nude blouses are a great piece for your wardrobe, and another great year-round piece. (I cannot emphasize versatility enough when it comes to keeping up with trends and being economical). I found a nude-colored blouse at Goodwill back home in Iowa that has been used in so many ways with the rest of my wardrobe. I always find that it’s worth digging through places like Goodwill or vintage stores to find key pieces to add to your wardrobe. I have always had luck finding fun, vintage blouses at Goodwill and finding this one was no exception!
At work I like to pair my nude-colored blouse with a leopard print neutral-colored skirt and a black blazer, and for fun with a pink cardigan, skinny jeans, brown boots and a ruffle headband. Lucky Magazine shows you other ways to wear this type of a blouse for work, casual and everyday living. How would you style an outfit with a nude-colored blouse?
I’m super excited to write my first post focusing exclusively on accessories because accessories are where I have the most fun! In fact, accessories are the glue that hold together my looks and really inspire me to try new things. Don’t get me wrong, I love the clothing itself, but I get really excited playing with the same clothing and accessorizing differently to completely make a new outfit. And now time for this accessories post’s focus… polka dots! Polka dots were another huge trend seen on the runway this year and what could be a better way to wear them than accessories?! I personally love my polka dot open-toed shoes. They really are me… with a girly touch… a bow of course (anything with bows, ruffles or that’s shiny I’m instantly drawn to). They are the perfect touch for work outfit and appropriate for many other events. I literally just ordered this headband from Jada’s Jewels and I can’t wait to wear it! If you don’t own any polka dots, the easiest and most economical way to try out the trend is with an accessory, so go for it and make it you!
$32 - nordstrom.com
$40 - dsw.com
2 - dorothyperkins.com
$15 - urban1972.com
6 - asos.com
$15 - oldnavy.gap.com
$20 - topshop.com
$65 - forzieri.com
I wanted to share a couple of my favorite fall trends for 2011, which sadly is coming to an end in Minnesota, but can still work well for winter time. Plaid trends are something I love to wear during the fall season into winter, and this year it is a MUST for your wardrobe. With major fashion trends, I try to take looks off the runway and edit them to fit my everyday life. I usually do this by taking small parts and incorporating them with my personal style. I would just do one piece, whether a skirt, button-up, jacket or shoes. I love to belt this jacket and wear some fun jewelry with the ensemble and also love to wear these flats with skinny jeans, a plain tee and a multi-chain necklace.
Light-weight sweaters are the best option for year round wear. My beige and white striped sweater is one of my favorite pieces because of its versatility, as well as the shoulder cutouts that made me fall in love with it in the first place! Now it’s great with boots, skinny jeans (denim or colored) and an olive green hat, in the spring/summer, it’s great with white shorts, strappy sandals and gold accessories.
Plaid Jacket: Target; Silver Buckle Belt: Express; Plaid Flats: Kohls
Sweater: Heartbreakers; Olive Green Hat: Forever 21; Skinny Jeans: Younkers; Brown Boots: Nordstrom Rack
$18 - asos.com
$18 - forever21.com
$35 - target.com
$28 - aldoshoes.com
$28 - nordstrom.com
$47 - romwe.com