The Loss (of.loved.ones)
Loss was a big part of 2012. As much as I would like to focus on the positive aspects of 2012, I just feel like you can’t fully reflect on a year without recognizing those events that have affected you and caused so much emotion. I lost two grandparents this year both on my mom and dad’s side, so it has been a difficult year for my family. Although death is a part of life and we knew both were going downhill, it still wasn’t easy. My boyfriend also lost a grandparent this year, as well as an uncle and a friend. We believe they are all in a better place now and will remember them forever. Love you all.
The Truth (about.money)
Adulthood has hit me in the face with full force. Choosing between being social and saving money has been a big thing for me this year and it is hard to tell my friends no. There are times to splurge and there are times to save and it has been hard for me to find a middle ground on this. I also realized this year I have a big problem with shopping. Not saying I haven’t realized this in the past, but it is a HUGE problem and it MUST change next year. I have set myself a budget for each month January through July to help me out on this New Year’s resolution to save money.
The Joy (of.simple.things)
I feel like I’m still transitioning from college into the real world… is that possible since I graduated over 2 years ago? Perhaps, perhaps not, but I finally feel like I am coming to terms with the fact that sometimes all I want to do is be with myself or hang out with the bf without getting dolled up and going out somewhere. I LOVE going out and having a good time with friends, but I am finally comfortable with just sitting around and being content with myself. I still struggle a bit with feeling “lame” for staying in so much, but I hope I continue to grow up next year. I don’t need to hang out with large groups of people to make me feel happy and make me feel like I have friends. I just need my true friends and enjoy the simple things.
Without further a do… My New Year’s Resolutions:
- Stick to a budget. I have worked out a budget for the upcoming months and I want to challenge myself to stick to it as close as possible. It is going to be tough, but I’m determined to do it!
- Physical activity every day. I’ve given up on working out every day, because I’ve realized it just isn’t going to happen. But I do aim to work out 3-4 times a week and do some type of physical activity on my days off… walk the dog, take her to the dog park, walk to a restaurant with the bf, walk to the mall, walk to get coffee, swim, play basketball, biking, etc. There is so much to do and I always talk about wanting to do more activities, so this year is the year to go out and do them!
- Research my future. If this sounds weird to you, it is okay, it sounds weird to me too! What I mean is figuring out what I want to go back to school for. I love school, going to class and learning new things… it excites me more than anything else (okay maybe amazing shoes excite me just as much) but I can’t wait to get back to class and learn some new skills! I have some ideas and would like to meet up with some professors, friends and peers to learn more about what I might want to go back to do.
- Network. Thanks to the blog I have been able to network with lots of people (love all you fellow MN bloggers, can’t wait to meet up again!) with similar interests and I love it! I want to continue to network, network, network and build more fun relationships over the next year! Can’t wait to see what’s in store!
- Dream Big. Because a dreamer just has to keep dreaming and that’s exactly what I’m going to do. I recommend you do it too 🙂
MeredithDecember 31, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Wonderful photos! Happy New Year Rachel!
HeatherDecember 31, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Happy new year my new friend 🙂 I look forward to more happy hours and more fun next year! Love your resolutions 🙂
Pearls & Paws
TJDecember 31, 2012 at 4:19 PM
I love the way that you laid out this post. Happy new year my friend! And here’s to always dreaming big!! 🙂
MacaDecember 31, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Happy New Year!!! Hope 2013 is a good one!
Demure in DiamondsDecember 31, 2012 at 11:05 PM
This post is so touching. Looks like you've had one heck of a year! I'm also graduating college this Spring, then on to big girl world and grad school 🙂 I also lost a Grandparent and its rough- I can relate! Here's to joy in 2013 Rachel!
Rachel's LookbookJanuary 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Thank you Jenna! I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your grandparent… it certainly isn't easy. I wish you lots of joy in the new year as well!
Fierce & FashionableDecember 31, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Love your goals & photos! If you are ever interested in Guest Posting on F&F let me know 🙂
Happy New Year lady!!
Fierce & Fashionable
Grace @ Wrinkled ChiffonJanuary 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Happy New Year Rachel! If you get a chance, I would love for you to stop by and check out my favorites in WORK, DAY and PLAY style from 2011…the year sure does fly by! Have a wonderful day.
thehautecookieJanuary 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM
i love your resolutions!!! Happy New Year!!! xO!
Ashleigh McElfreshJanuary 2, 2013 at 3:52 AM
I feel you on the truth about money. We live in a trendy area where lots of 20-somethings like to shop, play, bar hop, etc…but we have two kids! And I'm 25. I want to go out, but I want to sleep more, and I just plain do not want to spend $80 for drinks every weekend. It's money I could be spending on my kiddos, bills, shoes… Since I've stopped going out I feel like I have no friends!
Stick to that budget and update us! I definitely need inspiration in that department!
Rachel's LookbookJanuary 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Ashleigh… exactly! I don't even have kids and I don't want to spend $80 on drinks every weekend, but its either that or staying in! If I had kids, I would most certainly be staying in even more than I do .. probably 🙂 I think that's a great idea! I will try to do a monthly update on finances in general. It's something I want to be more educated on and I would love to share/help inspire if I can!
Red Tag Chic Los AngelesJanuary 2, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Happy New Year Rachel….looking forward to more of your awesomeness in 2013!
MeganJanuary 2, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Great list of goals! Happy New Year 🙂
AmyJanuary 2, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Love your resolutions! Happy New Year! xoxxo
Bethie the BooJanuary 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Your 2012 is a lot like my 2010 was in terms of loss. I hope 2013 is better that way for you! And I love your list of goals – I hope we can all meet up again too! 🙂
RachelJanuary 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
I’m sorry to hear that Beth. It really makes the year rough doesn’t it? I was honestly so ready for 2012 to be over. It was too much. I’m hoping for a better, more optimistic year!
2013 Resolutions Update | Rachel's LookbookMarch 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM
[…] … I’m not sure what to call them, but back in this post reviewing 2012, I also talked about what I wanted to accomplish this year. Most of my goals are an easy YES […]
2015: A Year in ReviewJanuary 9, 2016 at 9:17 PM
[…] Read more! 2014: A Year in Review | 2013: A Year in Review | 2012: A Year in Review […]
2013: A Year in Review - Rachel's LookbookNovember 6, 2017 at 3:11 PM
[…] of the biggest things I focused on this year were my health and my finances (see my resolutions for 2013 in my 2012 year in review). I was not able to reach either of my goals yet, but I really just […]
2019: A Year in ReviewJanuary 3, 2020 at 12:27 PM
[…] I’m doing a recap of the year post, as I have for the past several years (see them here: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 – wow I guess pretty much the entire decade). I’m […]